Thursday, August 30, 2012

Monthly menu

I saw something like this on pinterest last November sometime.. and loved the idea of menu planning for an entire month. So I started doing it and made it my own.

Menu Calendar

It usually takes me 2-3 days to get everything together and organized for the upcoming month but once its all done I'm done for a month. I've been really good about doing it... it was most especially helpful right after having Curtis... it kept me organized.
I start by looking up new recipes... I've really enjoyed trying new recipes... some don't turn out great but.... hey I tried... some we loved! So, once I have some new recipes I start to piece each week together... I typically have one "left over" night each week as well as 2 "freezer meal" nights a month... I have tons of homemade freezer meals in our huge freezer in the garage ready to go... delicious :) so its like a big puzzle putting together each week... I try not to do too many chicken dishes or Mexican or Italian themed dishes...etc  so I try to spread things out so it keeps things exciting and delicious.
The next step once my calendar looks good... I make my grocery list for each week down to every detail according to the recipes for each dinner from both fry's and Sam's club... so then I have 4 grocery lists for the month... and each week I just add what we need for lunches and other misc. things...
Then each week its nice knowing what's on the menu and I know we have everything in the house (hopefully....I'm always forgetting something :(  )
I think.... no I know... Kiel thinks I'm crazy but whateves.... I would rather work on it for 2-3 days each month instead of every week... and its pretty :) I love my laminated pieces on my white board calendar.... silly I know but it brings me such joy!!

2 comments:

Kathy said...

Love this! I just need all the recipes and I'll be good to go.

Elizabeth O. said...

i'm so impressed and so inspired by you. Way to go. Can I hire you to come to my house and do this? =) Maybe I'll copy your menu this month. You're awesome!