Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Alaska Living

Since my last post much has happened of course. Time has just gotten away from me. My last post I remember sitting on the floor without furniture typing on the keyboard on my lap. Now a month and a half later I am sitting at our desk with a house filled with our things mostly in their places. October 11 our things arrived and we were finally able to make this house our home. I was so glad to have Kiel’s help with the moving company. It fell perfectly on one of his days off and he was able to help with the kids.  WP_20131011_001WP_20131011_003WP_20131011_004WP_20131012_014

They did a great job, They set up all our beds and all the major furniture and then cleaned up most of the boxes and paper and left us to do the rest. All the boxes of course excited me but also gave me a bit of anxiety. Much to fit into a smaller space but we did it relatively quickly. I have learned to really this house. Its in a great neighborhood and I have made such great friends really close by. The neighbors are wonderful and very friendly.

After settling in, our laundry list of things to do was finally starting to dwindle down. We got our new Alaska Licenses, registered the vehicles

WP_20131024_001 

Got my Alaska Cosmetology license squared away…

WP_20131025_003

we had to set up our own mailbox on the major road down the street from our house. I don’t know what the owner did but I guess we can’t have his original mailbox. (Everyone kept telling me that they do things much different from the “lower 48” in Alaska, every time I heard that I wanted to scream at them and say I don’t care just get it done!!)

Next on the list was to figure out the truck situation. We had 3 vehicles which wasn’t the plan originally but we had to bring them all up here. So we took down the Excursion and Kiel’s Dodge 3500 and traded them both in for Kiel’s new Ford F-150 (he got it to match Mark’s truck… twinzies).

Ford F150

A bit of a change for Kiel. After being in a very powerful, loud and monstrous truck like his Dodge downsizing to this F-150 was a little bit a challenge for Kiel. It was hard to say goodbye to our Diesels. I have to admit I cried with Connor about saying goodbye to the Excursion. But it was the right decision. With it not being a 4x4 it would’ve gotten driven in the winter and a hassle to with in the cold weather. It was hard but necessary.

No comments: